In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Ruins of Numenor

Faffing about with that building toy Patrick gave me, and following the Mad Padre's occasional Lord of the Rings gaming post, got me thinking that these clay bricks could make a jolly good ruin or three. Middle Earth of course is dotted with the ruins of ancient Numenor and the fallen splendour of Men, so I thought I'd like to knock a few together for the Padre.

So on a Sunday afternoon I grabbed the bricks, the Aleene's Tacky Glue, my trusty side cutters and some old CDs (because all terrain is based on old CDs now) and set to work!

I just started gluing at a corner and worked out from there without any but the vaguest of plans. When I decided it was time for the wall to be crumbled I chopped a brick with the side cutters to give it an irregular edge.

Once I built things suitably high, I added some more rubble around the base trying to be mindful of still letting figures occupy the area. I also nibbled away at edges with the side cutters to make them look distressed.


I'm using a Ashigaru archer for scale and to make sure figures fit.


The rest of the CD is then covered with glue and sand prior to painting.


Painting was pretty simple. Black on the stones, burnt umber on the sand. Then dry brushing lighter shade over top. I've lined up the colours I used in the back of the pictures.




Then it's just more glue and some flocking and foliage.





Tucking the grass tufts into gaps both makes things look weedy, old and overgrown plus hides awkward to paint bits. 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work - the grass tufts really bring the whole thing together.
    I really like the idea of using CD's as a base for scenery. I've never thought of that before, but they're perfect - thin, sturdy and circular. And now I know what to do with my old Kate Bush cds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked you haven't encountered CD based terrain before!
      I kinda like Kate Bush though... I use old software CDs.

      Delete
    2. NO!!!! NOT THE KATE BUSH CDS!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Won't be running up that hill any longer.

      Delete
  2. That works really well, I never thought of using CD's either but when you see the outcome it seems so obvious, isn't that always the way!

    Best wishes, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a terrific and very kind Christmas gift, James. I look forward to using it in future games. It looked great on the table last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful inspiration to pull out my Hirst moulds & make some bricks! Well done. Gotta love all those old AOL CD's from the Monitor Magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to hunt out a kit like the one you've used. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete