In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Jump Off Points

One of the features of Chain of Command and Fighting Season is the patrol phase which establishes the location of jump off points (or JOPs). The JOPs determine where your troops enter the table.

These can of course just be plain markers, but that wouldn't be very pretty. Dougie's Wargaming Blog and the Silver Whistle have both made attractive scenic items out of their JOPs. The weapons caches from S&S Models were a natural fit for the Taliban JOPs with AKs and RPGs on rugs hidden under tarps.

Taliban JOPs
For the Canadian JOPs I used some left over stowage and a weapons cache that looked more "western". The piece with the map and radio handset put me in mind of a typical company or platoon command post. So I added a ruck and ground sheet to bulk it out.

Canadian JOPs here
For all if them I first glued fine sand onto a fender washer and let that dry before gluing on the pieces. I have found that doing the ground texture after makes such flat pieces look like they are sunk into the sand instead of sitting on top. After everything was primed it was a simple matter of painting and highlighting.

For the patrol markers I was thinking I'd just use individual riflemen instead of printing out Taliban and Canadian flags.

And here's a shot of the remainder of my Taliban coming along nicely:

3 comments:

  1. Superb job with the JOP's, I think your arms stash are more appropriate than mine. May have to copy and add a few weapons and tarps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better than just plain markers.

    ReplyDelete