In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I am not a Luddite!

I have always had a love-hate relationship with technology.
My friends called me a Luddite.
The thing is though, I hate buggering about with it. I just want to get on with what I want to do. Back in the 90s of course it was far from easy. Computers were expensive, slow and required a lot of arcane skills, for limited utility.
Fortunately my friend Don dragged us into the computer age by giving me his old machines whenever he upgraded. Mockery helped too.
The much more intuitive iMacs and later Windows GUI (Graphic User Interface) operating systems helped people like me a lot. With eBooks, digital magazines and on line content becoming so dominant, I wanted something easier than a desk top PC to consume these. So lately I'be been staring longingly at tablet displays. But with our limited income of the past 6 years they've been a luxury.
But a few weeks back was my 50th birthday and the family decided to get me a tablet. So here I am, sitting on my recliner writing this on my spiffing new Asus Nexus 7! This tech upgrade in the basement of rabbits will I hope make things more accessible. I can have digital rules at the table. I can I hope be able to do image searches while painting, instead of running upstairs to the PC. I also plan to load all my cadet training manual PDFs onto it. Much easier to carry than 5x 4 inch thick binders or the slow and clunky army issue laptop!
In order to try something new; I will now use the built in camera to show you what I should be doing instead of buggering about with a shiny new piece of technology.

The 4Ground Norman Farm Complex
But I guess learning how to use my new toy is a good thing too. Better to know how to operate a digital tablet than a clay one!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on joining the club. I'm a Nexus 7 user as well. Also purchased as a 50th birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you get into cadets?Id like to get into an RCAC corp in Nova Scotia when I move back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find the corps near you and go talk to the CO. Most corps need help. My oldest friend got involved when his son was in cadets. I needed work and they needed staff, some recruited me too.
      You start as a civilian volunteer, then if they have a paid slot you can move up to civilian instructor and start the enrolment process to join the CIC (the app is the same as the reg force)

      Delete
  3. I too am oft maligned as a Luddite & I'm fine with that. I too bought a nexus 7 & honestly rarely turn it on. I used it on a trip in Mexico to use Wi-fi & not worry about roaming charges. My cell phone is there for emergencies or if I need to phone home, otherwise its off so I don't get annoying phonecalls when I should be social with the people I am physically with.
    Technology is great, but as the world around you stumbles about distracted with texting, its not always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! My cell phone is so old it has an antenna. Whichever of us has the car, has the cell phone in case of emergency.
      Although usually the emergency is me at the store phoning to make sure I'm getting the right brand of tuna or whatever!

      Delete