In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking backwards and forwards

Been looking over this past year on the blog and thinking about next year, as one does. Life is entering a new phase with the girls and the job and some adjustments need to happen.

I think that 25% of this year's blog posts appearing in the past month (after finally getting a new job) indicates how much time and energy my job search this past year really took out of me and my painting/gaming. I do find that my reading, painting and gaming all sort of feed into each other. I'll paint a new model and want to game with it, or read a new book and suddenly I want to paint and game that subject. Start diverting time into the depressing field of job hunting and it all kind of grinds to a stop.

It's also been bloody hard to get the boys together for a game too.

I didn't get much painting done this year. The Medieval artillery (which still aren't played with),


and a bunch of additions to my SYW Austrians (infantry, jaegers, artillery),


 for WW2 I added the 17 pdrs

17pdrs 001

and sniper teams to my Canadians (neither have been played with)

snipers 002

and have as Works in Progress some PSC Churchills, plus just yesterday I got platoons of Fallschirmjaeger and Canucks based for Chain of Command.

Did add a bit of terrain with the redoubt,


the 4Ground buildings


and the grassy fields. But no churches.

For games there's not much to report either; no ancients, no medievals, a bit of SYW with the Padre, one Colonial game

and a bit of WW2. My Sherman squadron hasn't had a chance to hit the table again after being chewed up by Kampfgruppe Peterson last August.


So this coming year I'd like to paint more and find a way to play more. Perhaps with my morale improving I'll be able to get back to some commission work too. Being on afternoons every other week should help with the painting at least. Although the mandatory overtime every weekend will complicate scheduling games.

The plans I made last February for my Medievals didn't get very far. I should push those plans along as well as my Sharp Practice on the Frontier games. I have been working on some nicer cards for that using Google images etc. And Chain of Command has, if you hadn't noticed, grabbed my attention, so moving that along and getting those platoons painted up seems like a good idea. I have thus far resisted starting 15mm Russians for WW2, maybe I can keep resisting this year and spend more on terrain and whittling down my lead pile.

Playing some more Hail Caesar and Black Powder also seem like good ideas. Nice fast moving rules that can accommodate a group. The glory days of getting together every Saturday night with 4-12 gaming friends seem to be well and truly gone. We're all older, busier and more tired. This year I'm hoping to play maybe once a month with 2-6 players.

So that's the plan anyway. Let's see how long it lasts until my wargamer ADD acts up.

6 comments:

  1. I generally find that "more tired" thing to be a critical factor ;)

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I remember when we were all younger and could stage epically massive games that went on for a couple of days... not so much stamina now!

      Delete
  2. Just think, 2014, we are now all just that little bit closer to retirement and then no more work getting in the way of our hobby. I know what you mean with Chain of Command, I have caught the same bug.
    Happy New Year to you,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James:
    No question 2013 was a rough year for you, and if anyoe has earned good fortune, you have. I have high hopes that with your new job and our proximity, it will be a good year for both of us. One goal for 2014 I would enjoy is getting our medievals on the table again. Are those guns by any chance 28mm?
    Cheers, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears Padre.
      Of course those guns are 28mm! All my Medievals are 28mm. You've just given me inspiration for the next game. :)

      Delete