In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy 2012! So far, so good...

This year I think I want to carry on with my plan from last year, but focus on the terrain more as well as pushing various projects forward as the mood strikes. But in addition to No New Periods! No New Scales! I'm going to add No New Armies! Because I have all this early war German kit and the thought of painting up some 1940s French (mmmm.... Forged in Battle) or 1941 Russians (the Old Glory T26s intrigue me and the PSC infantry and T34s look tasty) really appeals. But I must resist.

And if I want a break from my 15mm SYW or WW2 there's lots of lovely 28mm Napoleonics and Romans waiting for me.

Besides, I need to put my efforts into terrain.

Here's my old 25mm Medieval village, made over 20 years ago:

You can tell they've been fought over quite a bit over the years. They're kinda rough, no details or highlighting and definitely looking a bit worn. Although the fortified farm has a certain charm still.

But on the New Year's weekend I painted up these resin buildings which I picked up for $20 at the Hotlead Bring and Buy. I had them black undercoated and then put them in a box and never got back to them for ages:

Big house back

Big house front

Old barn and cottage
Bit of an improvement eh?

The thatching was a challenge to paint, but I'm pleased with how it came out.

Some of my Medieval troops check out the new accommodations.
And I think they will look good when I finally get some Napoleonics painted up and ready to play too. Now I just need to add a few more!

Reading the newest edition of I Ain't Been Shot, Mum! and then playing with Lorenzo on the weekend also inspired me to push ahead on a second rifle platoon for my Fallschirmjaeger. They're nearing completion and will bring that army up to three platoons (2 rifle, 1 MMG) which will fit into most of the starter scenarios in the rules and give them enough strength to take the offensive once in a while.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely looking new houses.The thatching looks excellent.
    The old ones I like as well..:-D
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like madness and nice buildings sir.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paul.
    The old ones certainly gave me good service for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What madness? No new armies?
    That's just me trying to be restrained.
    Watch this blog, by the summer (assuming I've improved my employment situation) I'll probably be rabbiting on about 'my new WW2 Russians' or something when I should've spent the money on buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like your work on the buildings James. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job on the painting, very efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bargains and a real steal of a price. Deus vult, I'll shop the Hot Lead bring and buy this year.
    Your resolutions are admirable. Very similar to my own - top of my list: No Zombies. No Napoleonics. And definitely No Zombie Napoleonics, though zombie Old Guard grenadiers would be totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zombies have never really tempted me at all. The occassional game with Peter's Zombie set up is enough.
    I dunno Wierd Napoleonic Wars sounds just kinda... :S

    ReplyDelete