In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, November 5, 2010

Mississauga Dragoons!

Here is my latest painting commission for Peter's growing Canadian VSF army. They are Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Company British heavy dragoons in the home service uniform. I believe they are out of production now. The figures are quite charming although they had some issues with non-fills. Each horse had a small chunk missing from it's left hind leg and several scabbards are pretty stumpy. As you can see below, one of the horses had a pretty bad leg, which I had to fix with a few applications of green stuff.




Two packs of troopers and one of command gave Peter a nice unit of 11 figures. Given the size of Victorian militia cavalry regiments he may infact have modeled the unit at 1:1!

All the torsos are the same but the right arms are separate and for the troopers you get four arms with the sabre at rest and in the command pack you get a trumpet arm, a sabre arm and an arm with an open hand to recieve a guidon pole.

The uniform is based upon this picture and the cover of the Osprey Men-At-Arms Canadian Campaigns 1860-70. We refer to them as the Mississauga Horse because that regiment actually existed once upon a time, but were converged with the Governor General's Body Guards to form the Governor General's Horse Guards sometime between the Wars. I based the trumpet banner on the colours for the Governor General's Horse Guards and Peter has commissioned a guidon from the Flag Dude.
Albeit with fewer battle honours.

No comments:

Post a Comment