In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

An Away Game

 A friend likes to put on open participation games at his local public library. He tries to go small and skirmishy, with lots of colour to catch the kid's imagination. He's done WW2 a few times using the Too Fat Lardies Troops, Weapons and Tactics and western gunfights using his rather impressive western town. This time he asked if any of my Medieval armies were available to amuse the kids. Sadly I was busy yesterday unloading ludicrous amounts of sale merchandise at work, but I let him (and the kids) use my early Medieval army without me. Maybe I'm relaxing in my old age?

The librarian took some pictures of the action.
Explaining the rules.
It looks like Keith is using modified Black Powder for his rules. A good choice, I think they're simple enough for novices to grasp.
Charging past the rulebook!

 


"Don't just stand there gawking like you've never seen the Hand of God before! Charge!"

Table view and it looks like Dad is getting invovled too.


Yup. Dad's getting into the action.
I have no idea how it went or what happened, but it looks like people had fun and maybe Keith has gotten one of the kids enthused enough about the hobby to keep going.

I know I got hooked many years ago when the London Historical Miniature Wargames Society set up some games and displays at a local mall. My dad thought it'd be something I would like to see and took me. Clever fellow, my dad.

3 comments:

  1. It was a great day all around. Had about 8 - 10 kids and adults join in over the course of the day.
    Used the Black Powder initiave system with Warhammer combat. Easy mechanics for the kids to get. would like to streamline the combat for next time - just too much doce rolling.
    The dad inthe pictures and his kids are regulars at the library games. They have set up gaming at home using the green plastic army men. So if nothing else, it has gotten a couple of kids and their dad interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fantastic! Well done to you guys! To me, the good to the hobby is far secondary to the good for the community. You're doing real leadership in the local area, and that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith did all the heavy lifting. He's an extremely good GM. Good humoured, even tempered and quick witted enough to fake his way through the vague spots so as you don't notice. I just provided the troops.

    ReplyDelete