In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Ah Crap...

Just got this in my email. Crap.

I've been banging away on my own ancient rules; Legion and Empire, Miniature War Gaming in the Roman Era for a few years now. Got them all done and playtested to death. Core rules, army lists and scenarios. Trying to find a publisher has been the tough part. If the latest one falls through I may just sell it as pdfs over the internet.

But now Warlord has to bring out their own with all the fancy eye-candy, flash and hutzpah that the Perry Twins and Warlord can generate. And as Games Workshop amply demonstrates every day, it's flashy marketing that sells, not good rules. But then I rather like their Black Powder rules and if the ancient rules are anything similar then they'll prove popular.

Of course L&E is probably too detailed for the type of player who wants a Black Powder sort of game anyway. I never expected to get rich and there is always room for niche products for those who deliberately eschew the flash, popular rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment